English | BahasaABOUT US
As a centre of excellence in the field of photosynthetic pigments to address the challenges on food, health, as well as new and renewable energy through multidisciplinary research and development of appropriate technology
- Carry out competitive research in the field of photosynthetic pigments
- Develop innovative products and applied technologies based on pigments as active material
- Develop multidisciplinary research that leads to invention and discovery
- Develop capacity of human resources in their competence and leadership
- Facilitate research with modern equipment and good governance based on the principle of effective and accountable management
- Improving the quality and quantity of intellectual property (publications, patents, licenses, and so on)
- Developing synergic network and management of strategic innovation as a positive response towards stakeholders
Our mission can be summarised as "developing pigment research for groundbreaking and applied innovations". In order to achieve the missions, we have following goals:
- Development of innovation and technology that based on biopigmen
- The development of multidisciplinary research that opens new innovations
- Development and empowerment of human resource prior through activities that build competence and capacity in the field of pigment
- Increase research facilities and the facility for production of pigment-based innovations
- Improve the quality of independent and collaborative researches in national and international level with competitive funding
- Improve the quality and number of applied product and intellectual property
- Increase collaboration and empower the development of resources, their potencies and disseminate research product
MRCPP has identified leading research priorities and themes that are essential to keep us at the cutting-edge position of bioscience research in Indonesia:
Indonesian Centre of Excellence
The strategic vision of MRCPP is to excel in bioscience research in an integrative approach to understand how photosynthesis works at molecular level and to use that knowledge to develop applied technologies for sustainable food security, healthcare and energy. Cutting-edge research, people and institutions are the backbone to deliver innovations that are beneficial to the society and attract investment in science from the private and third sectors.
Key Strategic Research Priorities
MRCPP will carry out photosynthesis research that has great impact nationally and internationally:
The research is focused on the exploitation of photosynthetic pigments as healthy and safe materials for food colorant and food supplement as well as on the use of photosynthetic algae as sustainable supply of affordable and nutritious food.
This research aims to advance applied technology of nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals in utilizing chlorophyll and carotenoid pigments for better health and improved quality of life. The research will be focused to address national problem of vitamin-A deficiency (VAD), iron deficiency anaemia (IDA), and malnutrition. The research also aims to invent and develop stable chlorophyll-based photosensitizer for photodynamic therapy for cancer and tumors.
In order to reduce our dependence on petrochemistry, there are two approaches. Firstly, we study the optimal design principle of natural system in light-harvesting, energy transfer and energy conversion. This principle is a blueprint for designing the next generation of solar cells. Secondly, our research is to optimize the efficiency of biofuel production from novel biological sources.
Getting the themes right is essential to ensure successful delivery of the strategic research priorities and, moreover, it can attract investments to support research as well as it can promote the acceleration of translating research innovation into prototypes. These enabling themes are
Expert scientist, Innovation and Skills.
This involves in maximizing the competence of research scientists and their impacts through innovation that will encourage the increase of economic growth and quality of life in Indonesia.
Infrastructure and Strategic Management.
Good infrastructure and research facilities ensure high quality of analytical data that are generated based on solid scientific measurements. Strategic management is needed to enable innovative working practices in the right direction to target the improved quality of life.
Partnership, Synergy Network and Knowledge Exchange.
Trustworthy partnership and synergy collaboration with research institutions, industries and research laboratories, nationally and internationally, enable to fruitfully exchange knowledge that will be beneficial for the development of Indonesian society in general and also enable to deliver our ambitious vision for bioscience research in the field of photosynthesis in Indonesia.